The Department of Biomedical Engineering was established in line with the Saudi vision 2030 to raise the contribution of Saudi women in the engineering sector of labor market.
First batch of Biomedical Engineering students has been admitted to the bachelor's degree program, starting from the 1443 AH academic year. Biomedical Engineering department is considered the third approved department in the College of Engineering at Princess Nourah Bint Abdulrahman University.
Biomedical Engineering is a hybrid field between Medicine and Engineering. It uses all Engineering theories in all different Engineering fields and employ them to meet the needs of the human body.
Biomedical Engineering specialty has several fields that can be summarized as:
1. Biomedical Instrumentation: It concerns with design and maintenance of biomedical instrumentations whether it is used for diagnosis or monitoring and treatment.
2. Tissue Engineering: It concerns with study of human body cells and finding alternatives, for them whether tissues and organs.
3. Biomechanical, Biomaterials, Prosthesis Engineering: It concerns with study of artificial devices that replace a missing body part, which may be lost through trauma, and disease.
4. Clinical Engineering: It concerns with developing, implementing, and directing equipment management programs. Specific tasks include accepting and installing new equipment, establishing preventive maintenance and repair programs, and managing the inventory of medical instrumentation. Also, Evaluating and taking appropriate action on incidents attributed to equipment malfunctions or misuse.
A distinguished Biomedical Engineering department nationally, that is contributing to the development of health services in the region, who utilizes the engineering sciences and modern technology to serve human health and support sustainable development.
Providing advanced academic programs and supporting excellence in scientific research and innovation in the fields of biomedical engineering, through a distinguished and attractive academic environment, that contributes to achieve national and developmental goals and meet the needs of the labor market and community service.
• Qualify distinguished graduates to be able to meet the needs of the labor market in the fields of biomedical engineering.
• Provide graduates with sufficient knowledge to be able to apply technical skills in various fields of biomedical engineering.
• Create a distinguished environment that enables graduates and faculty members to contribute and innovate in research work in the fields of biomedical engineering.
• Qualify graduates to be able to apply the skills acquired in the fields of biomedical engineering to serve the community.
• Qualify graduates to be able to apply the ethics related to the practice of the profession in the fields of biomedical engineering.
Academic Degrees Conferred by the Department
Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering.
Study plan for Biomedical Engineering Program
Every student majoring in Biomedical Engineering must complete 164 credit hours distributed over 10 semesters and one practical summer training.
Lectures - Hands on and virtual Labs - Projects - Case Studies - Research Activities – Seminars- Co-op training.