It is a practical activity carried out under an organized plan during a definite duration determined by the college in which the trainee, within College of Art and Design, Interior Design Department, receives training where the theoretical aspects she studied are applied to improve students' practical experiences level.
Significance of Training to the student lies in qualifying her to the labor market through practical application of what she studied in branches of science and knowledge, where the student acquires new skills and experiences in field of design, throughout training period.
Controls of Field Training 1439-1440 AH:
Interior Design Department, College of Art and Design:
First: controls of receiving training inside Riyadh
- - Solid reputation.
- - The training center shall have a license registered with Chamber of Commerce.
- - The training center shall meet all conditions and rules of field training program applicable in the department including appointment of a supervisor who collaborates with department's supervisor in terms of guiding the trainees during the field training's period, as well as providing feedback on job performance through evaluation forms approved by college's field training unit. Furthermore, it shall provide a timetable and a detailed explanation for each trainee setting out the responsibilities and tasks assigned to each and the expected time for completion.
- - The general atmosphere in the training center should be appropriate for students in terms of preserving Islamic customs and traditions, accordingly, a separate and licensed female section must be provided for female trainees, as well as a special seat for her equipped with PC and its accessories, including programs and equipment needed by each trainee at work.
- - The tasks, activities and responsibilities assigned to every single trainee must be a part of her specialization, study and academic skills to be source of benefit in her professional life.
- - The trainee should not have a relative of the first and second degree in the same training center.
Second: Controls of receiving training outside Riyadh
As per the letter issued from the Vice-Rectorate for Educational Affairs No. 1819/JKT, dated 21/08/1438 AH, which stipulates for the approval on provision of training outside Riyadh as well as providing the vice-rectorate with controls of field training determined by the department as follows:
- - Solid reputation.
- - The training center shall have a license registered with Chamber of Commerce.
- - The training center shall meet all conditions and rules of field training program applicable in the department including appointment of a supervisor who collaborates with department's supervisor in terms of guiding the trainees during the field training period as well as providing feedback on job performance through evaluation forms approved by college's field training unit. Furthermore, it shall provide a timetable and a detailed explanation for each trainee setting out the responsibilities and tasks assigned to each and the expected time for completion.
- - The general atmosphere in the training center should be appropriate for students in terms of preserving Islamic customs and traditions, accordingly, a separate and licensed female section must be provided for female trainees. As well as a special seat for her equipped with PC along with its accessories, including programs and equipment needed by each trainee at work.
- - The tasks, activities and responsibilities assigned to every single trainee must be a part of her specialization, study and academic skills to benefit from in her professional life.
- - The trainee shall not have a relative of the first and second degree in the same training center.
Third: Field Training Mechanism
1. Register with an engineering office approved by the Saudi Council of Engineers as per the applicable standards in the country.
2. Complete all required training forms issued from the department and the training center.
3. Carry out the tasks, activities and responsibilities requested from the trainee within her specialization, study and academic skills.
4. Follow up attendance by means of a weekly report detailing the tasks accomplished during the week denoting meeting and break times, and to be delivered to the academic supervisor at the end of each week.
5. Provide portfolio or achievement file that includes:
- - A detailed explanation of the tasks and the accomplished missions with documentation of work environment including the office facilities.
- - The student shall provide updated photos for the completed work stages.
- - Provide 10 photos at least for the completed works to be included in the weekly report.
- - Each student shall provide her own photo even if it is taken for the same training period and place of training.
6. Follow up on student's evaluation made by the professor and provide feedback, and conduct revisions periodically.
7. Receipt of final reports issued from the center as well as the attendance sheet.
Department plan for students development:
1. The University's Vice-Rectorate for Educational Affairs as well as Investment and Development Department have been instructed to organize an interior design event in which the works of graduate students will be presented. As this represents an opportunity to sign cooperation agreements with training centers and competent bodies, which enables the department to take advantage of the labor market to provide training and support students of Interior Design Department.
2. Adopt the Professional Practices course plan, “DAKHL 361 T" in terms of serving field training course regarding student's readiness to:
- - Portfolio and curriculum vitae.
- - Self-marketing.
- - Stationery.
3. Organize meetings with companies to assist in establishing companies and promoting for them and the students.
4. Conduct workshops and training courses in field of entrepreneurship and the interior design as a profession.
The academic Supervisor's Field Training Manual:
Providing an icon under name of the academic supervisor's field training manual that includes the following:
- 1. The academic supervisor is the link between the company (the training body) and management of the department.
- 2. Hold meeting with the student before the scheduled date for training to let the student introduces herself and submit the required applications, as well as getting student's signature for having considered all directives and instructions set out in this booklet.
- 3. Collaborate with the training body to deliver the necessary documents such as the contract and the forms to be filled in as well as agreeing on the direct communication mechanism with it.
- 4. Follow up the evaluation of student's competence, and identify her academic skills and experience continually according to the forms approved by the department.
- 5. Hold meeting with the trainee on regular basis, either face-to-face, over the phone, or through advanced computer programs, in view of the capabilities available to the student, to verify her progress as well as her behavior at work.
- 6. Receipt of evaluation form as well as student's report, along with her daily performance record, as it is a basic reference in controlling student's degree.
- 7. Having signature of the trainee on list of the required tasks.
- 8. Collective evaluation or by the trainee supervising committee at the end of the training period and discussing her report on field training experience.
- 9. Complete trainee evaluation form, which includes observing her performance and progress during the training period.
- 10. Submit the evaluation forms to management of the department.
Student's Field Training Manual:
Providing an icon under the name of student's field training manual that includes the following:
- 1. Promote speaking and presentation skills.
- 2. Work within the specified timeframe with clients.
- 3. Create artistic or design themes.
- 4. Develop means of presentation including information, whether printed or electronic.
- 5. Conduct detailed customer search (company profile and its market position).
- 6. Develop complete artistic or design projects, starting from research and ending by final production.
- 7. Having the ability to use computer programs to implement designs.
- 8. Organize meetings with clients and modify designs to meet their needs and suit their tastes.
- 9. Having the ability to carry out the required adjustments more than once for the same project.
- 10. Manage the budget (in accordance with a specific schedule).
- 11. Cooperate with all work team members, such as copiers, programmers, photographers, and technicians, to complete the work in its final form.
Training Center Supervisor's Field Training Manual:
Providing an icon under the name of training center supervisor's manual that includes the following:
- 1. Accompanying the trainee student on the first day and providing a detailed explanation of the tasks assigned to her, making her familiar with responsibilities of the departments as well as its work nature.
- 2. Introduce the trainee to the required procedures and the applicable work mechanism within the center.
- 3. Assist the trainee in understanding training agreement and its terms.
- 4. Assign the trainee to accomplish the tasks entrusted to her, while clarifying the respective goals.
- 5. Assign tasks to the student all the time to develop her skills and enhance her talents, as there is nothing weakens talent as much as prolonged free time and neglecting works completion.
- 6. Follow up trainee's work and ensure completion of all tasks assigned to her.
- 7. Direct the trainee in accordance with the mission and vision adopted by the center.
- 8. Help the trainee to have a comfortable work environment and monitor her progress and development.
- 9. Engage the trainee in the meetings (such as the staff meeting, program and project discussion meetings).
- 10. Provide the trainee with information on career opportunities in the training center in which she receives training.
- 11. Contact the academic supervisor to get more information about the academic specialized matters if there is any problem with the trainee.
- 12. Contact the trainee first regarding conveying impressions of the officers in charge of her work, and directing her to improve her skills and performance.
- 13. Evaluate trainee's performance in accordance with training Center's evaluation form that was provided to the center from college's field training unit.
- 14. Provide the trainee with a certificate of training attendance as well as the form of trainees' professional performance evaluation.
Skills gained by the student through the training center:
- 1. Develop the design idea board and training on furniture distribution layout and fittings according to the approved international sizes and standards, attending customer interview , plus training on using and filling in customer interview's form.
- 2. Identify to what extent the Saudi construction code is applied in the projects, the approved building requirements based on nature of the projects, reviewing the contracts (relative to interior design projects) and ways of contracts wording in multiple forms according to the office.
- 3. Develop integrated horizontal projection for projects, flooring and ceiling projections, prepare vertical sectors and internal façades, and the extent to which they meet data, specifications, dimensions, and training on understanding and applying building systems such as electricity, air conditioning, fire, and other systems in the projects.
- 4. Identify methods of selecting materials, raw materials and finishes for the interior spaces with their description and the way the office presents and displays raw material panels, and how they prepare bills of quantities and specifications.
- 5. Conduct field visit to projects of the office relative to interior design, field surveying of measurements and their application to develop horizontal projections, sectors and interfaces using the AutoCAD program and prepare internal perspectives using design and final presentation programs.
Field training Examples among various entities:
1. Mind Engineering Consulting Office:
Mind Engineering Consulting Office was established in 2005 in field of engineering, consulting services, trading and contracting at the regional level, it leads vanguard of a pioneering group and a professional design house in furnishing and supplies and approved by the Saudi Council of Engineers as well as being a member of:
- - The APID Interior Design Professionals Association, chaired by the global designer Kenneth Ladler.
- - The International Federation of Architectural and Interior Designers (IFI) and a member of the International Alliance (IDA).
- - The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC).
2. The Saudi Engineering Consulting Office:
The Saudi Engineering Consulting Office was established in 1985 and it is one of the first consulting offices specialized in providing all types of civil engineering services, architectural consulting and surveying works, by taking advantage of efforts of an integrated and qualified team of engineers and technicians with long and wide experience in engineering and technical fields. It contributed to completion of many important projects for the benefit of important bodies and authorities such as Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education and others. In addition, it is approved by the Saudi Council of Engineers.
3. The Architectural Center:
The Architectural Center was established in 1977, and relied mainly on local expertise and qualified personnel to accomplish the largest projects according to the international specifications as well as benefitting from the national products. The Architectural Center provides consulting services in a number of engineering disciplines relative to urban planning and design, cities and regions planning, architectural and interior design, site coordination, studies, engineering designs, and others. Moreover, it is approved by the Saudi Council of Engineers.
Mind Engineering Consulting Office
The Saudi Engineering Consulting Office:
The Architectural Center: