In order to confront the "COVID-19" pandemic
PNU has about 40 researches and more than 171 researchers
The Research Funding Initiative, which was launched by Princess Nourah Bint Abdulrahman University represented by the Deanship of Scientific Research, will support around 40 researches that will be nominated for the research institution after the demand of large number of researchers.
The Dean of Scientific Research, Dr. Kholoud Al-Muqrin, said that the topics of the initiative were distributed to several tracks:
- Modelling the possible expectations
- Public health policies and decision making
- The virus interaction with the host: (the virus isolation, its severity, extent of spread, the response and susceptibility to infection)
- Diagnostic check ups and accuracy (molecular investigations and serology)
- Clinical trials of therapeutic interventions
- Prototypes manufacture in biomedical engineering and suitability (respirators & personal protective devices)
- The development methods for disposing unsafe waste
- The assessment of the economical, social and physiological impact for the disease on the society.
She added that the initiative objective is to invest the research capabilities of the university employees to find scientific solutions that could contribute in treating the Corona Virus (Covid-19) and reduce its side effects. It is expected that the result of these projects will be scientific researches, which are going to be published in scientific journals. In addition, most of the researches that contain innovation and patents will be converted into industrial products with an economic value.
It is worth mentioning that Princess Nourah Bint Abdulrahman University initiative for supporting researches that contributes with the international and local efforts to fight Corona Virus and reduce its impacts. This is investing the research capabilities of both employees; the university and King Abdullah University Hospital as part of series of measures that has been taken by the university to decrease the infection. This initiative as well is going to be used to confront the pandemic and allocate a budget for funding these scientific researches in 2020 to fund number of innovative research projects that highlight the efforts of Saudi Arabia in acing this epidemic.